Sunday, October 12, 2008

Headstart--Gov. Preschool Program for Low-Income Families

I found a scholarly article about the program that I am hoping to complete my engagement hours through, so it's best that I am an informed volunteer. Headstart's main goal is to "elicit gains in the preschool child's social competence." Even further, Headstart is a service for children from low-income families so that they may grow in their cognitive and language, emotional and physical development. Since Headstart's being instituted in 1965 Headstart has served 7 1/2 million low-income children. Headstart also offers special education for handicapped children coming from low-income families. A major aspect of Headstart is parent involvement; Headstart raises expectations of parents for their children so that they will continue to be active participants in their children's future education. Headstart also offers social services and health services, including medical, dental, mental, and nutrition services. Although this is old research, I feel it is important to mention: George Washington University compiled findings that Headstart participants performed equal to or better than peers when they began regular school, there was fewer grade retention, and low absenteeism. I felt compelled to write about this because I am in the process of becoming a Headstart volunteer. I will be working directly with the children in their preschool in the Sacramento area. Now, I am familiar with Headstart's goals and feel that I can go and make my own judgements when I begin interacting with the children in the program.
From One Decade to Another: A Positive View of Early Childhood Programs
Author(s): John A. Calhoun and Raymond C. Collins

1 comment:

elyse. said...

The Headstart program sounds really good for kids and parents. While reading i thought that that's pretty awesome that they are including 'medical, dental, mental, and nutrition services, especially for people who don't or can't have it, that's amazing. And that's so great that your helping out with the program, it sounds fun.